Banner

MILESTONES

 

1826-27 The Singapore Yacht Club (SYC) was initiated and active.
1882 His Excellency the Governor, Sir Frederick Weld, was the Patron of the SYC; W.H. Read was the Commodore of the Club.
1897 The members of the SYC became honorary members of the Singapore Rowing Club; the SYC became inactive.
1919 The SYC was revived; Walter Nutt was elected President of the Club.
1920 The clubhouse in Trafalgar Street, Tanjong Pagar was opened by His Excellency the Governor, Sir Laurence Guillemard.
1921 The Singapore Rowing Club combined with the SYC.
1922 His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) became the Patron of the Club, which changed its name to the Royal Singapore Yacht Club (RSYC).
1923 Sir Thomas Lipton presented a trophy cup to the RSYC.
1937 His Majesty King George VI became the Patron of the RSYC.
1942-45 Singapore was invaded and occupied by the Japanese.
1952 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II became the Patron of the RSYC.
1956 RSYC members represented Singapore in sailing events at the Olympic Games in Melbourne.
1965 The RSYC moved out of the Trafalgar Street clubhouse.
1965 The RSYC clubhouse at Sungei Pandan was opened by His Excellency Yusof bin Ishak, the first President of the Republic of Singapore.
1967 The RSYC changed its name from the Royal Singapore Yacht Club to the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club. His Excellency President Yusof bin Ishak became the Patron of the RSYC.
1970s Land reclamation deprived the RSYC of its sea frontage. The construction of the Jalan Buroh bridge over the Sungei Pandan, completed around 1980, further restricted the Club’s access to the sea.
1997 His Excellency President Ong Teng Cheong became the Patron of the RSYC.
1999 The RSYC moved into a new, seaside clubhouse on the West Coast of Singapore.
2000 The official opening of the new clubhouse by the Patron of the RSYC, Mr Ong Teng Cheong.
2001 The RSYC was awarded the 6th SIA Architectural Design Awards by Singapore Institute of Architects (SIA) in the Recreation Buildings Category.
2003 His Excellency President S R Nathan became the Patron of the RSYC.
2004 Visit by King Harald V (Honorary President of the International Sailing Federation) and Queen Sonja of Norway.  
2005 Visit by Prince Albert II of Monaco, also President of  Yacht Club de Monaco, to formalize the reciprocal arrangement between the two Clubs.
RSYC is one of only eight yacht clubs in the world that has a special twinning relationship with Yacht Club de Monaco.
 
2006 Visit by Mr Ban Ki Moon, then Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister of the Republic of Korea, now Secretary-General of UN.  
2006 Iconic sailor Ellen MacArthur visited RSYC at the end of her historic Asian record circuit.
2006 Visit by legendary yacht “Gipsy Moth IV”.
2007 Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong was guest-of-honour at a Singapore Sailing Federation’s appreciation dinner for the nation’s sailors at RSYC.
2009

President SR Nathan visited RSYC as guest-of-honour at the Club’s Charity Golf Dinner which raised S$150,000

for the Parkinson’s Disease Society of Singapore.

2010 President Nathan’s second visit to RSYC to launch the Club’s heritage book ‘Three Burgees’.
2012 Club Patron Mr SR Nathan officiates the opening of RSYC’s new Dry Stack Building in May 2012.
2014 RSYC opens the extension wing of the Marina Lodge.
 
 

 

Back To Top

 

If you have information, articles or historic relics relating to the history of RSYC, email us at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it