NATIONAL HERITAGE BOARD PLAQUE
On an appropriately stormy evening on 17 June 2000, just after our Patron, President of the Republic of Singapore (1993-99), Mr Ong Teng Cheong, officially declared the RSYC's new Clubhouse and Marina open, the National Heritage Board Plaque was unveiled, commemorating and acknowledging the RSYC's pedigree as Singapore's oldest Club.
The plaque, which is now located at the front entrance of the Club, reads:
RSYC traces its origins to 1826 with William Montgomerie as President. In the 1800s, the Singapore Yacht Club's Commodore, W.H. Read promoted sailing regattas in Singapore. In 1920, the Club opened its Tanjong Pagar Clubhouse. It became the Royal Singapore Yacht Club in 1922 under the patronage of the Prince of Wales. Other royal patrons included King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II.
In 1967, it was renamed the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club under the patronage of the first President of Singapore, Yusof bin Ishak. The fifth President of Singapore, Ong Teng Cheong became Patron in 1997. Since 1923, RSYC has hosted the prestigious Lipton Cup. During the Japanese Occupation, the RSYC yachts were used by British personnel to escape. The RSYC celebrated its 174th anniversary in the year 2000, at 52 West Coast Ferry Road.